Your Transition Assessment Checklist
As you may know, most provisions of IDEA 2004 go into effect on July 1st, 2005. The Individuals with Disabilities Education Improvement Act is a major revision of IDEA. One of the provisions calls for "appropriate measurable postsecondary goals based upon age appropriate transition assessments related to training, education, employment, and, where appropriate, independent living skills"
In this issue, we've provided two checklists for you to:
- understand what the actual legal transition assessments requirement are
- evaluate your needed transition assessment tools or instruments
As always, we're dedicated to helping you and children with disabilities succeed under IDEA. Please feel free to contact us if you have any further questions.
- Robin Davies, Wizdom Education
Your Transition Assessment Checklist
Legal requirements of IDEA 2004
IDEA 2004 lists a number of legal requirements for transition assessments. They are summarized here:
- You must have age appropriate transition assessments - reflects issues, concerns, needs of 16- 21 year old young adults with and without disabilities
- You must assess and plan for post secondary education and training, employment, living, and community involvement
- You must capture appropriate measurable post secondary goals related to training, education, employment, and independent living skills
- You must capture and highlight child's needs, strengths, preferences, interests
What a Good Transition Assessment Tool or Instrument Should Have
In order to follow the law and meet the requirements, you need a tool to see if you're meeting the needs. Here are things you should look for in a transition assessment instrument so that you meets the needs of the district, students, family members, and teachers.
Transition Assessment Tools/Instruments Must:
Transition Assessment Best Practices:
Incorporating best practices in transition planning for your students
In the best of all worlds, the assessment tools/instruments that you evaluate should also permit you to incorporate best practices in transition planning for your students. See if the assessment tool:
- Integrates assessment with planning with doing the plan activities Recommends measurable functional activities that support achieving post-secondary goals
- Positions transition as the centerpiece of the IEP Identifies specific agencies that, by their own descriptions, can meet the transition plan needs of the student while in high school and as the student moves into post secondary activities and environments
- Lets the student's hopes, goals, and vision for the future determine decisions in curriculum, school- based and community-based activities Introduces assistive technologies as a way to enable students to greater levels of productivity and freedom
- Has an Accountability system - increases accountability of all participants in the student's transition plan - student, school staff, family members, community agency personnel
- Guides student and accompanying family members or school personnel through the major issues of transition planning Includes connecting activities "a flexible set of services, accommodations, and supports that help youth gain access to and achieve success within chosen post school options."
- Provides access to the necessary services, supports, and accommodations to address each youth's individual transition needs.
The Wizdom TransPlanner!
Wizdom's TransPlanner! meets legal requirements, district needs, and incorporates best practices for transition assessment and transition planning. The TransPlanner! is a web- based, integrated transition assessment, planning, service-linking, and activity tracking tool that meets the criteria in this checklist.
For a free, online demo from the convenience of your office, contact Phil Vitkus, Director of Instructional Services, at 630.357.3000 x3004 to schedule an appointment. Or email Phil Vitkus: email@example.com
ABOUT WIZDOM EDUCATION
email: firstname.lastname@example.org phone: 630-357-3000
Wizdom Education, a Division of Wizdom Systems, Inc. is the leading provider of software and services to plan and manage Special Education programs. Wizdom Special Education products include TransPlanner!, LiveIEP!, ChildConnect! and ClassRoomLive!. Wizdom products are used by many school districts. Call or email Robin Davies (email@example.com) for additional information.